News from Saint Mary's School
Interested in Saint Mary's School for your daughter?
Our admission team is eager to speak with you and introduce you to Saint Mary's, virtually! Register for a virtual event or schedule an in-person visit! Learn more here or contact email@example.com.
The 2020-2021 academic year
Classes began on August 24, with a two-week period of virtual learning. On-campus classes began September 8. Beginning December 1, following the Thanksgiving break, the school returned to a virtual learning model from December 1-18 prior to the Christmas break. Students and faculty engaged in virtual classes from January 5-8, and returned to on-campus classes January 11, with in-person learning scheduled through the end of the school year.
Covid-19 test required for all students returning for classes after Spring Break April 2021.
To prevent community spread of the COVID-19 virus upon our return from spring break, we ask all students to upload a negative COVID-19 PCR test result to the Magnus Portal before returning to campus. Tests should be taken no earlier than Friday, April 2. If a student travels to a destination other than their home, a test should be taken upon returning home and before returning to campus. Students will remain virtual until a negative test is presented and uploaded to the system. All students and employees are expected to report their symptoms and temperature daily to the ASCEND screening app. This monitoring system has been essential in our tracking any illnesses on campus thus far. If any issues should arise, please contact Binder Health Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Information about COVID-19 PCR testing:
- A COVID-19 PCR/Molecular test is required.
- Antigen tests (rapid tests) and antibody tests will not clear a student for return.
- If your daughter tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 90 days, no additional testing is required.
- Students who have received their last dose of a vaccine by March 23, 2021, can submit proof of vaccination in lieu of a negative COVID-19 test result.
- All test results (either negative COVID-19 PCR test or positive COVID-19 test within 90 days) must be submitted through Magnus and approved by Saint Mary's Binder Health Center staff.
- Tests should be taken no earlier than April 2, 2021.
- Those who are traveling away from home should test upon your return home and submit a negative result before returning to campus.
How to submit COVID-19 PCR test to Magnus:
- Access your Magnus account through the SMS parent portal using your Veracross credentials or access Magnus directly at mymagnus.com.
- Forgot your Veracross password? Go to: https://accounts.veracross.com/sms/portals/accounts/forgot_password
- Photo: Take a picture of the form and upload the .jpg directly to Magnus online or use the app. It's as easy as uploading a photo to Facebook!
- Scan: Scan the document to your computer as a PDF and upload it directly to Magnus.
Covid Testing Resources in Wake County (as of January 2021)
Here is the link to drive-thru Covid-19 testing in Wake County. https://covid19.wakegov.com/testing/
The Swinburne Parking deck on Kidd Road in Raleigh offers:
- Drive-through PCR testing
- No appointments necessary
- No questions asked, no ID required
- Quick and easy
- Turn-around time is generally 12-24 hours
- Open 7 days a week. 7am-7pm
- Check out the website for more information on this and other locations https://covid19.wakegov.com/testing/
Rapid testing is key to fighting this pandemic! This is a great resource!
Saint Mary's faculty and staff are well on their way to receiving their second doses of the COVID-19 vaccinations made available through Phase 3 of North Carolina's vaccination plan, which opened up to educators and school personnel. Saint Mary's offered its own vaccination clinic for employees, in partnership with Hayes Barton Pharmacy, March 4, in Bacon Gym with a follow up clinic scheduled for April 9 for the second dose of the Moderna vaccine for those who received their first dose at Saint Mary's. With vaccinations opening up to those age 16 and older and those in congregate living communities, many students are also receiving vaccines.
Visitors on campus
For the health and safety of our school community, visitors to campus are being limited. Visitors must have a scheduled appointment and complete the school's campus access screening form 24 hours in advance of arriving on campus. In keeping with Saint Mary's health protocols, visitors must wear a mask/face covering and maintain social distancing while on our campus.
With the start of on-campus classes, faculty and other employees essential to school operations are working on campus in compliance with campus health and safety protocols. Some administrative staff continue to work from home to minimize potential COVID-19 exposures on campus. Here is a link to our online faculty/staff directory to assist you in contacting our faculty and staff. Administrative staff also works from home during periods of virtual learning.
With the health and safety of our community our first priority, Saint Mary's continues to closely monitor COVID-19 developments and make plans in accordance with guidance provided by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS).