Granddaughters Club members 2017-2018
The Granddaughters Club consists of students who are direct descendants of Saint Mary’s alumnae, including mothers, grandmothers and great-grandmothers. The Granddaughters Club is the oldest club on campus, established in 1909 by Kate McKimmon, who was an alumna, teacher, secretary and treasurer of the Saint Mary’s Alumnae Association. During that first year in 1909, there were 33 members: 11 granddaughters, 27 daughters and five girls who were the third generation of their family at Saint Mary’s. Today, some students represent the fifth or sixth generation of their family to attend Saint Mary's.
The purpose of the Granddaughters Club is to maintain a close kinship with the Alumnae Office and the Alumnae Association, to continue the traditions of the school and build new ones, to promote school spirit and to form a nucleus of students that will later develop into proficient service in the Alumnae Association. The Club’s mascot is the ghost of Aldert Smedes, founder of Saint Mary’s, who reportedly roams the halls and lives in the attic of Smedes.
Granddaughters Club members host the Founder’s Day Chapel in October, light the luminaries for the Lighting O’ the Grove in December, participate in Spring Fling in April, help with the Alumnae Association dinner honoring the graduating class in April and volunteer during Alumnae Reunion Weekend in the spring.
Auld Lang Syne
Lest We Forget
Columbia Blue and White
the ghost of the Rev. Aldert Smedes, Saint Mary's founder